Charismatic Leadership and Communication Effectiveness
Charismatic leadership requires communication expertise. To become an expert in reading other people, the DISC and Driving Forces assessments are critical. The presentation from Brandau Power Institute, Seeing Others with 20/20 Vision, teaches the nuances of improving communication by seeing the other person’s world from their viewing point using the DISC model. The DISC profile literally help you see the world as the other individuals sees the world. It is similar to putting on their glasses. That would not work as glasses are highly individualized. However, the clearer we can see and understand the mindset, opinions and emotions of the people we interact with daily on a daily basis, the greater influence we will have with them and the easier it will be to impact their behavior. How you approach direct reports and customize your conversations with them is the secret to getting them rowing in the same direction to reach common goals. Dave Clark of TTI made the above graphic for us to help us understand the need for leaders to increase their communication effectiveness. Let me add the DISC model insights.
- Listen to Learn. Supportive and Steady Green Oak Tree S personalities have a natural ability to stop what they are doing and listen. Dominant or Fiery Red D personalities may keep working while they listen. Influencers or Yellow Sunshine I personalities at some point may interrupt; and Conscientious or Blue Water C personalities will listen but their minds may continue to think through the problems they are trying to solve at that moment.
- Check Social Media Posts.The Influencers or Yellow Sunshine I people will probably have the most social media posts but most people have at least a Facebook page where they post personal pictures and friend or family events. When you are seeking to impact another’s behavior, check their Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or other platforms you know they use. Observing what they have posted gives you ideas for opening conversations or more interesting superficial chit chat with them as you reference positive events they have posted.
- Understand Subtle Nuances of Your “Audience.” In addition to social media posts, know their behavioral style, driving forces, and EQ level. When you know these personal factors of the person you are working to influence, your mission becomes much easier. For instance, if you know the person has Blue Water C tendencies, prepare a convincing case in advance. When interfacing with a Fiery Red D person, prepare a bulleted list of the most important points that can be delivered in minimal time. The Green Oak Tree S person requires a depth of information, permitting them to methodically come to the same conclusion you have reached. When working with a Yellow Sunshine I person, include written information for them to examine later, enabling them to remember your discussion.
- WIIFM – Understand the Need. The old acronym, WIIFM (What’s In It For Me) will always be a factor when it comes to influence. This point means that you cannot influence anyone to do what you need done if you are not clear on what you want them to do, or if what you are asking them to do will fulfill a need in their professional life. This requires you to be one-step ahead of them, especially when delegating or moving them toward goals and objectives. I recommend delegating to the Blue Water C person first. They intuitively ask clarifying questions which will tell you if your instructions are muddled. The Fiery Red D requires a minimum of instructions but may follow his own path to the goal. Yellow Sunshine I’s will need reminders and Green Oak Tree D’s will move steadily forward toward the vision you have set.
- The Power of Non-Verbals. Put this somewhere safe where it can be easily accessed in your memory: your body does not lie.Whatever you are thinking or feeling about that person will come tumbling out of your body through your eyes, your smile, the tilt of your body. They will also perceive the truth of your words and know if your message and your true feelings are congruent. It is important to clear prejudices and negative emotions from your mind BEFORE you start conversations.